Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm not picky, I have Selective Eating Disorder

Yeah. 
Sadly, I'm having to face that I'm in my late 20s and will be 30 in a few years.  Sadface.  Oh well, better to grow older and wiser than be young and dumb I guess. 
So, I'm starting to realize that if I don't change my diet, eating habits, I may end up with health issues.  I may never be obese, but that's not all I'm concerned about.  I need to worry about cholesterol and all that comes along with poor diet.  I don't want to look older than I am because I don't get proper vitamins and minerals. 

I've always been a picky eater, as far back as I can remember. 
I don't like my food to touch, I ate out of a divided plate until I was almost 12.  My mom packed them up when we moved to Alabama, and never unpacked them.  The horror.
When I started kindergarten, I started taking my lunch, mostly because my mother was afraid I wouldn't eat all day because I was such a picky kid.  I ate a peanut butter sandwich every day (I'm not exaggerating here) at school lunch from kindergarten until about 7th grade.  What changed in 7th grade?  We moved to Alabama and went to a public school with an actual lunch room.  See, I packed my lunch and ate the same thing for so long, I can't remember if my private school even served hot lunch.  I remember they had milk in cartons, and ice cream for dessert, but I don't remember actual food.  I got off track...anyway, public school lunch room...yeah, that's where I was. 
Once a week school served pizza (remember, square pizza, served with corn or french fries...who thinks of these combinations?!).  If my brother and I had behaved that week, we got to buy pizza for our lunch.  It was a huge deal around our house.  I'm not kidding.  lol 

It wasn't until my mid-20s that I tried a turkey sandwich.  Yup.  mid-20s.  I actually ordered a sandwich from Brueggers.  Yes, ordered it.  I don't know where that wild hair came from, but I ordered the sandwich.  I asked for cheese, bacon, turkey, on an asiago bagel. 
And, It. Was. Delicious.  OMG.  Fabulous.
Now, I make myself turkey and cheese sandwiches all the time.  YUM! 

The list of what I do eat is a quarter of the list of what I won't eat.  And, it's not that I won't eat it, most of it I can't eat. 
Serious.  Lettuce makes me nauseous.  I've tried different kinds, different times in my life.  Several foods do this to me.  Bananas make my stomach hurt, I mean serious stomach ache.  Too much tomato sauce, hang it up, sick to my tummy again.  Tomatoes?  Gross, absolutely not.  Texture aversion.  Onions, no.  The list goes on and on.
And, it's not just fruits and vegetables.  I don't like fish, I only like chicken breasts, boneless/skinless...same for turkey.  I don't eat much hamburger, we eat turkey tacos, turkey spaghetti...love me some ground turkey.  That choice has been a health choice...do you SEE the grease that comes off of ground beef?  Barf 

Some  people think I'm just being funny or silly, but I'm not.  It's a serious issue.  I'd love to fix it.
So, I google, "Diet for picky eaters" and find this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40357712/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/grown-eat-kid-you-may-have-selective-eating-disorder/ 
It's a short article, and some of it is psycho babble, as my Aunt called it (and I agree), but it does make a lot of sense. 

What do I eat, you ask?
Chicken (to include nuggets, grilled or baked with selective seasoning)
Steak, but not much
Hamburgers, once a week or so
Green beans, fresh or organic canned...plain please, don't put stuff in my beans!
Green peas...same as beans
Various beans, I don't avoid beans...I like them as long as they're plain and not doctored up
Spaghetti, turkey, remember, no chunks of tomato please
Fettucinni Alfredo, with or without chicken, even better with sweet green peas!  Try it!
Macaroni and Cheese...yum
Apples
Edimame (furry little beans...OMG, delish)
Potatoes, but not much
Bacon
Some cereal
Some oatmeal

That's a bit of what I eat, certainly not all...But, you get the idea...I'm lacking key nutrients.  I do take a multi-vitamin every day.  I do drink water, not as much as I should I'm sure, but I do drink water every day.  I love ice cold water. 

I need help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment