Monday, July 30, 2012

How I make that money, Honey



Thought this was a cute link up and decided to join in!

I usually only say that I work in law enforcement, which is true, but to explain more:
I'm a dispatcher for our local sheriff's department.  My job is fun, stressful, crazy, dramatic...you name an adjective and it probably describes my job.
Calls for help or assistance come in to 911 or our non-emergency line, I (along with 2-3 others each shift) chose which deputy or deputies to send to the call.

We have to chose number of units based on their safety and citizen's safety.  We have to chose who to send based on closest available units.  It's second nature to me now, but it was overwhelming when I started this job 2 years ago.
My main concern is deputy safety.  It is my job to make sure they each go home to their respective families and homes at the end of the day.  Of course, I'm equally as concerned with citizen's safety.

My job can be laid back a lot of times, and other times it's fast paced, non stop adrenaline.  I love it.
I joke that it takes a special kind of crazy to do this job, joke but it's about the truth!!

certainly pre-pregnancy lol
me hard at work  haha
I take my job very seriously...honest!

I have talked to people in domestic abuse situations, shooting victims, and the shooting offender, scared old ladies who hear something at their door late at night, and punk thugs who are chasing each other around with weapons.
Our calls run the gamut.  We're in one of the most populated counties in Alabama, and our county houses one of the largest cities.  Our county doesn't have most of the larger city problems that the city police have to deal with...but it bleeds over.
I love my job, and I'm proud to do it!

17 comments:

  1. um, your job is like what intrigues the most in life. I'm obsessed with crime shows like dateline, cops, etc. I would love to do what you do but sounds very intense! I'm pretty sure I would have a nervous breakdown day one. Sounds like you really love your job and take it very seriously. Any hot cops you wanna hook me up with? HA! Kidding. Or am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! A cop you'd want to be hooked up with is a rare find. Unless you're just looking to holster hump...because that's all a gross majority of them seem to want. It's pretty sickening lol. Now, there are of course exceptions to the rule!

      Delete
  2. i was just talking about how i'd love to do this! Such an impactful job. How did you get into it?

    come say hello at nichollvincent.blogspot.com and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an opening, and I applied! Check your local departments, there's usually a lengthy application process, followed by typing tests, and other testing

      Delete
  3. I would love to be a dispatcher. My mom was one for a while, and she always tells me how stressful it is. I'm pretty sure the only reason I want to do it is to be nosey... Oh, well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love this job, I think. You get to help people and it is high intensity. Very cool. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can be high intensity!! But, I love those days

      Delete
  5. wow! that's so cool! i love that you love your job and that it's something that you're proud of (& should be!)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can only imagine the kind of stuff you deal with on a daily basis!! I dealt with soooo many crazies working in my husband's law office. But I'm sure you get the chance to help people everyday and that makes it worth it!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so cool and so intense!! I can see how it would be non stop adrenaline rush some days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats sounds like a great job! I love jobs that are always filled with surprises like yours and you are really helping people! I am your newest follower. I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog! Have a happy Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your job seems so crazy but in a good way. I don't think I could remain calm to help someone on the other end of the call so a huge kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a fun job! I bet everyday is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that's amazing that you're a dispatcher. Every time I drive by a wreck or see cop cars, I always wonder where they are going and what happened, for some reason I'm really intrigued like that! So thankful for people like you :)

    ReplyDelete