Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A wonderful Thanksgiving Eve

I know, most folks don't call it Thanksgiving Eve...but I just did!

J and I had the pleasure of taking his deeply Southern Baptist Grandmother and Aunt to our Episcopal church for services today at noon.  What is usually scheduled as a regular mid-week service was turned into a Thanksgiving Eve service.  J's mother joined us, but she's been to Episcopal services before, so she wasn't lost.

Service was great; I loved watching J sitting next to his aunt, helping show her the way through service as I helped his grandmother.  I can only imagine that they were just as confused and lost as I am when I'm in a Baptist church.
The lessons today were perfect for Thanksgiving...of course.  Since they're more than just a line or two, click them to read them if you're interested.  They're great.  I hope you'll read them
Deuteronomy8:7-18
II Corinthians9:6-15

After church, we all went to Cracker Barrel for lunch.  Man, that place was crowded!  I guess working the way I do, right through holidays, I don't think about traffic being heavier more this day than that, or more foot traffic here because of this or that.  We got to sit down and got our food quickly, which was better than 90% of my Cracker Barrel experiences. 
The matchy-matchy was accidental! lol

J stayed with his mom, to run some errands, and I left with his aunt and grandmother to get  back home to get the car so I could go to work.  On our way out, I managed to get through the crowd first and stopped at the fireplace to wait for them.  Some random guy in his 50s was standing there, about 4 feet from me.  If you ask me, 4 feet is out of the personal bubble and it's only required to give a friendly half-smile or head nod. 
Did this guy follow the same personal bubble rules as me?  Nope, of course not.  "This fire place is great isn't it"  What do you say but, "Yes, it is"...give the half smile and walk on.  We got in line to pay and who ends up behind me?  Yup, Mr Fireplace. 
What does he do now?  Smile real big at me, and apparently decides now is a great time to finish the awkward conversation he attempted to start earlier at the fireplace.  "Do you eat here often?" he says.  "No, no I don't" half smile, hoping that would be the end of that.  "Yeah, me either, it's too expensive to eat here too often", continues Mr Fireplace.  Oh boy.  Thankfully, J's aunt noticed what was going on and so rudely butted in the conversation about expense.  LOL.  THANK YOU AUNTIE!  I used her talking as  my escape route and we headed right on out.  Think that's the end of it?  No.  Luckily, the next time he sees me, I'm in the back seat of the car as we're pulling out of the parking space.  J's aunt is laughing at me because I can't seem to get away from this strange man.  We pulled out and got into that awkward you-go-no-you-go car dance in the parking lot.  Thankfully we went the opposite way from him and got away.  Aunt laughing that whole time.  Thanks for the sympathy.  LOL 

Maybe he was just trying to be nice, but oh deary.  In many ways I'm just awkward, and that happens to be one of them.  I never know what to say.  I never know what to think in those situations.  Other than, "Where is that darn husband of mine?!  This wouldn't be happening if he were right next to me!"

Mr Fireplace aside, wonderful day.  Work hasn't been too bad either....
Happy Thanksgiving Eve folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment