Wednesday, October 3, 2012

7 weeks!

Pierce is 7 weeks old!

And I can't believe it!  
He's been home 4 weeks now, I've been a full-time mother, we've been a full-time family for a month!
What a glorious month

Pierce doesn't go to the doctor again until mid-October, but I looked up his percentiles for my own curiosity.  I knew my boy was small, but dang lol.  Love his tiny little self!

Born: 7lb 3oz 25-50th percentile
Left hospital (20 days): 6lb 14oz 10-25th percentile
First Dr appt (3 weeks): 7lb 1oz 25-50th percentile
Second Dr appt (5wks 2 days): 8lb 4oz 5th percentile

Pierce stays in the 25th percentile on length, born 19", last doctor appointment he was 21 3/4"
  • Still in newborn clothes!  Carter brand sleepers are too short in length and in the feet.  Some how my little guy has HUGE feet!  Child of Mine by Carter fit great though...explain that lol
  • Still size 1 diapers
  • Still eating 4 oz/120ml, spitting up less than he was last week so I figure he'll be going up by 10ml by 8 weeks maybe.  We just go with what he says he wants to eat!
  • Mostly sleeping in his swing at night, if we get him in the crib it's only been for the first half of the night because I'm just too tired to sit and get him back into deep sleep to get him to stay in the crib.  
  • Getting better with his bath each time he gets one, every other day for now
  • Still screaming after getting out of the bath!  Hates getting lotioned up silly boy
  • Changing clothes and diapers is becoming less of a screaming traumatic experience lol
  • Smiling more, real smiles too.  Not gas smiles.  He's been smiling real smiles since about 2 weeks old.
  • Holding his head up well, far less wobbly 
  • Started doing those baby mini-pushups, trying to turn his head while his head is up in this position but only making it half way right now
  • Tracking objects by turning his whole head, not just his eyes.  He followed his Daddy all the way around the room, out of the room, and kept watching for him to come back through the door.
  • Started looking at Sully, not sure what he thinks lol.  We know Sully could pretty much care less about the squeeler that takes all of our attention from him
  • Turning his head from one side to the other while on his belly during naps.  He does really well with it, but I still won't put him to bed on his belly.  Though, I know he'd sleep in his crib for HOURS if I did. 
  • Snorts when he's MAD, doesn't when he's crying because of any other reason!  lol
Playing with his friend, Ms Pierce

The face cracks me up





I have been having supply issues, barely able to keep up with Pierce's demand.  I called the lactation consultant and her only suggestion was basically to take Fenugreek.  So, I started taking it, 2 capsules 2 times a day.  Nope.  Supply kept tanking.  To almost nothing.  I read about "Power Pumping", pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, for an hour.  Drink a dark beer.  Then, I realized that the blogging community has opened me up to a plethora of amazing women, and one woman in particular that I so admire is Allie, knowing that she has 3 boys and has breastfed/pumped for all of them I had to tap into that resource.  She told me to CRANK UP the Fenugreek, suggested 12 capsules a day.  Dang, that's a lot.  So, I started.  My in-laws brought me a 6 pack of dark beer, I drank one that night and the next night.  
*Before you go jumping my ass over drinking a beer while my baby drinks breastmilk, one beer isn't going to be detrimental to my milk and it doesn't cause me to even get buzzed.  Blood alcohol and breast milk alcohol levels are the same.  I'm not hurting my baby*
My supply is starting to come back, but it wanes really badly by the end of the day, early evening.  I'm SO afraid that I'm going to have to supplement Pierce with formula at night.  I'm really hoping I don't have to.  I don't know why exactly that I've gotten this HUGE aversion to formula, but I'm incredibly proud that I can provide nourishment for our son.  I'm excited that I can give that to him, provide the immunities that I am providing.  I've been in tears over my supply, so I'm really hoping that my nightly beer and overdose of Fenugreek is going to do the trick!  I'm also pumping on schedule like a mad woman, and power pumping every night.  Anything I can do.  Oh, and nursing.  So...needless to say, J sees me in shorts and a nursing sleep bra more than actual clothes.  lol.  It's just easier.  
One funny thing about all of this, a side effect of Fenugreek is that it makes your sweat, milk, general body odor smell like maple syrup.  Any time I take my shirt off, I get a whiff of maple syrup.  I joked that I'm going to stop making milk and just make maple syrup!!  
**We caved Monday night and gave Pierce 4 oz of Similac for Fussiness and Gas.  He drank it slower than Mommie Milk, because it's so much thicker I'm sure.  He drank it all, seemed pretty happy.  J burped him, 20 minutes later he burped again, 10 minutes later he spit up a little, 5 minutes later he threw up some.  Started screaming, I cried and apologized to him over and over and over again.  He was upset for over an hour.  Sadly, we may have to give him more again tonight just because of my supply.  I'm really upset.

5 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up! You are doing all you can! And are a GREAT mother!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we can get a picture of the cousins next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need pics of them together, maybe Portrait Innovations can do it. They have a CHEAP package that would give us a TON of pictures for the family

      Delete
  3. little man, you are looking cute!

    ReplyDelete