Saturday, November 17, 2012

Conundrum

I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum.  Today is World Prematurity Day and I want to "celebrate" for Pierce's sake.  However, most people don't see that he was/is a preemie.  I look everywhere and find that "37 weeks is considered full term".  Heck, I thought he was "full term" and I let that put my mind at ease when we were told we would have to deliver at 37 weeks 3 days.  Mistake!  I let the fact that I had an "easy" pregnancy put my mind at ease.  Mistake!
If you're new, or missed it, read Pierce's birth story here. And his NICU journey herehere, here, here, here,   here, here, and finally here.

Pierce was pre-term.  Term is 40 weeks.  End of story.  Yes, PLENTY babies are born earlier than 40 weeks and are healthy as can be, nothing wrong.  But, 1 in 8 babies are born premature.  Pierce would have been considered full-term, had he been healthy.
So, my 7 pound 3 ounce 19 inch baby boy was labeled preemie.  The first time I heard a NICU nurse call him preemie, I cried.  I don't know why, looking back, I blame stress and hormones.

I hear so many people wanting to induce early, yes 37/38 weeks is "full term" but unless it's causing Mommy or Baby harm to continue the pregnancy, please please let Mother Nature run her course.  My early delivery was NOT planned, at all.  My plan was to go until labor started, have a totally natural birth with no drugs.  My darling husband was pushing for an epidural, but...lol.  Read about my battle with what happened vs my plan here.
For all my pregnant friends, let Baby lead the way.  I know those of you who are in the 30+ week area are miserable.  I remember.  I had amazing days, and horrible days.  It won't last forever!  Do anything you can to go as far as possible with Baby in the best place, your womb.  God, Mother Nature, your body, Baby, they know how long Baby needs to be in there.

So, I still go back and forth, but ultimately, my "big" 7 pound 3 ounce 37 week gestation boy was premature.  He's developing right on track with 3 month mile markers, only rarely do we see things that are 3 weeks behind.  Like, he's not grabbing things regularly, he doesn't hold objects other than our fingers yet...little things, nothing big that will affect him much longer.  In just a few months, the little things will be a distant memory.
My boy is 13 weeks, but his "adjusted age" is 10 weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment